Another book review:
As I read through Proverbs Reconstructed by Gus Dallas, I was encouraged by the breakdown of the verses. Dallas has many different subjects/topics and placed verses from Proverbs into them. This is a great tool when you need a verse that may go along with a situation or topic you are studying. It can also be great way to learn to memorize verses in Proverbs according to topic.
Dallas has constructed this book in alphabetical order so it is easy to find the subject/topic that is needed. Each topic is then broken down into good and bad ways the word is used. For example, take the word Countenance, Dallas has placed Proverbs 15:13 under the good section, while Proverbs 25:23 is located in the bad section. Each word may not be stated in the verse, but the verse may be talking about each topic.
The good section talks about how the word is used in a good sense, take Proverbs 15:13 for example " A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance, ..." Proverbs 25:23 uses the word in a bad sense " ...a backbiting tongue an angry countenance."
The thing I didn't like about this book was each verse it taken out of its original order. God has placed the verses in their order for a reason. I would suggest that anyone who uses this book as a tool also get into the Bible and read the verses surrounding the verse they want to use to make sure they understand the context and reasoning of the verse.
No comments:
Post a Comment